This track started as just a way to test mic placement. Then I threw the drums together last night in hydrogen, using the "K-27 Trash Kit". It's got higher sound quality than some of the other kits, despite being "trash". I'd prefer cheap drums recorded well to good drums recorded poorly any day! But the style is kind of "garage punk" anyway, I think. I actually have no idea what that style is, just making some assumptions.
I am still really bad at making the correct decisions during video editing, but at least I know which buttons do which in the software, right? I spliced in some shots of me playing the bass part, but they turned out really bad because I was too close to the camera. I put a few in anyway just to prove to the viewer that it is me actually playing the bass. Unfortunately I didn't get the bass A/V sync perfect so that kind of ruins that idea anyway. Anyway in terms of production speed I put this one together a billion times faster than anything else! I am proud of myself for that, at least.
Also I screwed up some setting during rendering or maybe encoding trying to help the sync problems but what happened was that it added a big black border that I don't want and it encoded really poorly too. Whatever! I am not fixing it.
Concerning the lyrics, they were improvised. I thought "what would I sing if I was a garage punk band"? It's not about any girl or about society or anything anti-authoritarian or whatever, it's just some random words. [Figure I should say that before anyone in my life gets offended.]
OK! Here is the video! (I made a new video after that one came out so crappy. It took me like 1/5 as much time to edit too, which means I am better than before!)
It probably sounds better in SoundCloud if you're into things that sound better but you can't see them:
Euphonia - get out by Walker Shurlds
Technical things, if you care
Fender Standard Fat Strat (with a few modifications) >> Peavey Studio Pro 112 (solid state guitar amp) >> ART Tube Studio MP (tube preamp for microphones, being used as an overdrive) >> "T" 60dB attenuator I made myself >> Peavey Studio Pro 112 (effect return) >> Shure SM57 (dynamic microphone) >> Behringer Eurorack UB1202 (analog stereo mixer) >> M-Audio Audiophile 2496 (sound card)
My mouth >> MXL Condenser mic >> Beheringer Eurorack UB1202 >> M-Audio Audiophile 2496
Squier 70s Jazz Bass > Peavey MAX 112 Bass Amp >> Shure SM57 (dynamic microphone) >> Behringer Eurorack UB1202 (analog stereo mixer) >> M-Audio Audiophile 2496 (sound card)
Recorded in ardour, drums generated by hydrogen, sent directly to ardour in software
Guitar: SC4 stereo compressor
Vocals: Mono Amplifier, SC4 Stereo compressor, plate reverb
Bass: Barry's Satan Maximizer (overzealous compressor distortion)
Drums: Barry's Satan Maximizer, C*EQ2x2 equalizer
Master: SC4 stereo compressor, 2x2 Plate Reverb