Saturday, December 11, 2010

Saturday Afternoon Noodling: Stone on the Bubble Mute

The other day artist Bobby Chiu tweeted "Learning to draw even when you don't feel like it. It's an essential skill to being a successful artist." and that got me really thinking that I don't make much music when I don't feel like making music. Today is one of those days where I don't feel like making music, so I suppose I should just do it anyway. At this point I haven't decided whether I should work on my cover projects or just noodle or maybe redo an old song, or even which instrument I should play. I am thinking that the plan will be to eat a bit first anyway. I'll use horizontal rules to split up when I quit writing this post then did stuff then came back, I think.




So I was thinking that for today's post maybe I should talk about gear, since I have gear nut tendencies and am kind of evangelical about linux, or I could talk about video editing or whatever since I did recently discover how to do simple things like sync up video with external audio and do some cutting and pasting. I want to learn how to do split-screen, but at this point learning to do music better is more worthwhile. But after thinking about those things I thought about that tweet and realized that today at least, the force that is making me want to post about that stuff is the fact that I just don't feel like making music today, and after thinking about it decided that that isn't good enough. As lame as it sounds, I guess I have to push myself, even if I'm pushing myself while holed up as a tiny bedroom recording project. If I do do video today I am going to have to wear something on my head because I am currently hideous.




Ended up napping for two or three hours but I still feel bushed from work. I am thinking about trying to lay down either an a capella or a vox + horns version of "Stone on the Water". I was thinking a capella before the nap but now I feel differently. This room is live enough to get really good horn sound. I am thinking a chorus of bubble-muted trumpets for now. I have to do a transcription first in any case, though.

This is the song. I'm not certain but I think this video is unofficial:


First I am laying out the form.

all time 4/4 except where noted
riff a: em E                   
riff a: em E
riff a: em E            cello
riff a: em E            viola
riff b: em 9-8 suspension
riff b: 7/8: em 9-8 sus
riff a: em E                    +piano
riff a: em E
riff a: em E            cello
riff a: em E            viola
riff b: em 9-8 sus        +dbass
riff b: 7/8: em 9-8 sus
riff a: em E                   
riff a: em E
riff a: em E            +violins    sample
riff a: em E           
riff b: em 9-8 sus        only violins and guitars
riff b: em 9-8 sus        "
g.p.

b part: vox enter           
v1:
em em em em    so we restore harmony smooth the lines on the
C  C  C  C        face of an old enemy but there's no
am D  em em    wood on the fire again we could meet any
am D  G     G    place you know where i know when ... to
B7 B7 B7 B7    go
B7 B7 B7 B7

c:
em C  G  B7    skip like a stone on the water
3/4: em C G    fall with no trace to lie permanent
B7 B7 B7 B7    ly
B7 B7 B7 B7    oooh oooh
em 9-8 sus    oooh
em 9-8 sus    [filled to 4 by drums]

v2:
em em em em    into the valley we roll where we fumble a
C  C  C  C    round till we find our way home yet all we
am D  em em    have is an old ball of string will it reach to the
am D  G     G    end of this dark labyrinth
B7 B7 B7 B7    no
B7 B7 B7 B7

c:   
em C  G  B7    skip like a stone on the water
3/4: em C G     fall with no trace to lie permanent
B7 B7 B7 B7    ly ... ... ooh
B7 B7 B7 B7    oooh ...  oooh
em 9-8 sus    oooh
em 9-8 sus   



I guess I am known for (read: I guess I know myself for) meticulous transcription. There are way more details than anyone needs in there. I can't seem to remember how to do tabs in HTML correctly at the moment though, so I copypasta'd into an editor that renders them correctly for me. What I need to do now is lay down a set of parts that vaguely represents those chords and form and then do a note-for-note transcription of the one guitar bassline part, and that is all for the moment. The bassline will mostly consist of "do this for every B7 chord, do this for every G chord, etc."




Ugh there is no way that I am going to get any good sounds with these methods tonight. Combine how rusty I am at trumpet with intonation problems resulting from muting combined with general lack of inspiration when I thought up the idea. I did the first half of the A section but if I keep this up all night I will end up in tears (also with a busted lip.)

But you get to listen to it anyway!

Bad-rough-stone by Walker Shurlds

1 comment:

  1. I think that's a great quote from Chui--doing something even if you don't feel like it is what separates the amateurs from the professionals, I think.

    ReplyDelete