Friday, December 31, 2010

The New Year (Death Cab for Cutie cover)

So since it's a new year and all I decided to throw together a cover of Death Cab For Cutie's "The New Year".






I tried to do as much stereo micing as I could.  Downside to this is that if I want to record more than one instrument at once then I have to set the relative levels of those instruments before recording, and I can't change it afterwards (although I can EQ and reverb it to help things a bit).  Basically what this means to you is that the vocals were too soft, and I muddied up the mix trying to fix it.

Anyway I recorded XY stereo rhythm dobro, mic'd behind the bridge, simultaneously with mono lead vocals.  Then I recorded XY stereo lead dobro, mic'd right in front of the bridge (to get more pick noise).  Then I moved everything around and recorded acoustic bass guitar, AB stereo mic'd at soundhole and 12th fret simultaneously with background vocals.  Then I recorded acoustic guitar, XY stereo mic'd at soundhole.

Then did mixing in ardour, about to do "mastering" (read: normalization) in audacity.

Made video the whole time, once the files transfer from the camera I'll do my usual crappy copypasta video editing then render then encode then upload.  I am thinking about changing my encoding parameters because my other videos kind of look like crap.  I guess if I just double the bitrate it will automagically look better?  No ffmpeg gurus read this, do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment